Sunday, November 22, 2009

Celestial Falls: another classic PNW park n'huck


committing myself
Photo by Scott Baker

Fall here in the Columbia river gorge was better than I had imagined.  I guess I expected that I would miss all of the colors of fall, but the Pacific Northwest didn't fail me.  The many orchards in the area were a variety of brilliant colors and to keep me occupied my staple run, the Truss, was in at a low, but good flow.

Big Brother in the Fall
photo by Scott Baker

Although I do love the Truss, I was itching to get out and run something else.  Unfortunately not much else was in, but we got a little bit of rain and the White river in Oregon came up a bit.  There isn't an epic whitewater stretch of the White river, but what it does have is a nice park n'huck 40ish footer, Celestial Falls.

Lance Reif
photo by Scott Baker

Celestial Falls is a state park, and it is technically illegal to run the falls, so just don't get caught!  So early Halloween morning myself, Scott Baker, and Dan Laham headed out of Hood River and towards this classic park n'huck.  

Scott Baker looking like he is about to boof it
photo by Lance Reif

fading it down
photo by Lance Reif

We knew the park ranger was there, luckily Scott and Dan scouted out other put in options the day before.  So we put in at an alternate spot and paddled downstream towards the falls.  There are two falls, the top one is about 80 feet or so and lands on rocks.  So we portaged the top drop, seal launched in above the 40 footer and each gave her a go.  

Dan Laham
photo by Lance Reif

Dan went first and had is paddle knocked out of his hands at the bottom and was able to hand roll up.  Scott fired it up next with a similar line.  I went last, tried to melt it but my stern got kicked and I ended up with a not so perfect line, but no harm no foul.

Now the rains have come!  The Gorge is full of things to do, but unfortunately I am out with a bad back for a few weeks.  So I am working on getting better so I can get back out on the water.

Until then......

1 comment: